09 April 2011

The New West

Star and I hit up the ol' dollar theater right by her house today ("We are the reel deal") to see the new-ish version of True Grit.  Both of us agreed that it was a nice change to see a Western.  I think it must in the blood--after all, we each have a cowboy grandpa.  And so I've decided to broaden my horizons (to more of a sweeping "big-sky" vista?) by taking on AFI's list of the Top 10 Westerns.  Here they are:
1The Searchers1956
2High Noon1952
3Shane1953
4Unforgiven1992
5Red River1948
6The Wild Bunch1969
7Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid1969
8McCabe & Mrs. Miller1971
9Stagecoach1939
10Cat Ballou1965
I believe I have only seen #2 and #7.  What about you?  And which films ought to have made this list?   

3 comments:

*star said...

Rats Teluh! Rats Teluh!

Does it count if I saw the musical Cat Ballou six times in one summer?

Kalen's Mommy said...

I've seen #2, 3, 4, 6, 7. Unforgiven is one of my top 10 personal favorite films! It is so awesomely quoteable! "Deserve's got nuthin' to do with it!" or "We've all got it comin' kid." or "You just shot an unarmed man!" Will Munny: "Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend."

Russ said...

Star: I think seeing the musical definitely counts. Doubly, since you sing the title song on a fairly regular basis.

Kier: Unforgiven has been on my to-see list for quite a while. In fact, I think it's on my TiVo right now...