27 November 2010

Quit-or-Commit

In addition to being Black Friday, today also marks the annual celebration of Quit-or-Commit, a holiday observed by a group of my friends.  Every year, on the day after Thanksgiving, each person declares a  personal commitment to either go through with something (a relationship, a job, a habit, etc.) or to quit it altogether.  It's sort of a New Year's Resolution/Lent on steroids.  (Quit-or-Commit was originally founded to commemorate a somewhat ludicrous ultimatum issued by an unwanted suitor.)

This year, I commit to keeping first things first in my MBA program--to make sure that my pursuit of an MBA does not conflict with the reasons for why I went back to school.  (Likely more on this in a later post.)

As a footnote, the Roman poet Ovid apparently also celebrated Quit-or-Commit: "Either do not attempt at all, or go through with it."  I think he stole that quote from Yoda.

1 comment:

Annie Traynor said...

How have I never heard of this holiday? I want in!